Got the paints out and surprised myself

Recently after an inspiring conversation with an artist friend and during which I probably more than once said 'I really must get my paints out again', I swiftly acted on my words. I admit, it wasn't an easy thing to do as I don't have dedicated space available to leave all my painting kit set up for long, just using part of the dining table when possible for short periods. More it was the mental angst of: Would I paint something I would be disappointed with? After all, it had been some time since I'd last painted, so I'm barely proficient and expert in my desired style. In spite of these negative rumblings in my head, it still didn't work against me and even though I had no intention of creating a 'finished composition' and just have some practice, I somehow forgot myself and in a potentially destructive all-or-nothing approach, I worked on a whole scene. Fair enough, at least it was a simple one, but there was still plenty of opportunity to 'bust' on my technique and hoped-for result. 

But the positive side of my brain won over and I went for it. In two sittings, I created firstly a very passable scene, albeit with some gaps and not quite as finished as it might be. And then in an even more 'boom- or-bust' move and almost despite my better judgement, I decided on further work to finish it off. That's often a good recipe to over-work something and mess it up by fussing about. 

Heavens, but it didn't work out as I first anticipated and I actually finished off a pretty passable piece and definitely on the right road to getting where I want to be with my technique. I shall not say that I don't know how it worked out so well, because I do really. Unusually for me (according to me anyway), I was quite disciplined and I didn't sit with my face right in the painting, instead I spent much time standing up and keeping it at arm's length and managed to create an impression, more than a load of fussy detail. I think that was the key anyway and if so, then that's a rule I should always consider.

The dread now, will be on following this up with something at least as good, or better. Banish those negative feelings, fool!

After the first 'sitting'. I just wanted a bit more to it - the foreground was fairly lacking, I thought.

The finished piece. The foreground improved, the highlights lift it and the further work on the trees gave them their more skeletal winter form.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been a while...

Lower Town Quay

Making an effort